I’m an Aspie (person with Asperger’s Syndrome), and as such I regard Christmas as a Big Awful Silly Wasteful Thing. So I came up with a set of Rules:
RULES THAT SENSIBLY CONTROL CHRISTMAS:
1) No-one is under social obligation to buy anyone a present. Non-presents are fine.
2) Everyone gets the presents they actually want and need.
3) All presents have a purely practical purpose. Power tools, yes. Perfume, no.
4) All presents to be precisely wrapped in high-grade paper, to maximum efficiency of coverage. All tape to be aligned with edges.
5) All presents to be unwrapped by slitting the tape with a scalpel. All paper to be folded and put away for reuse next year.
6) Normal number of meals to be prepared and eaten, at correct and regular times, consisting of regular foods as well as Christmas foods.
7) Christmas crackers are a frivolous waste of resources, and are thus banned forever.
8) No-one is compelled to have eat some weird thing and have to say ‘it’s nice.”
9) No-one is forced to have to socialise with relatives, or for that matter other human beings.
10) Communication via text or internet is cool, even during meals.
11) No-one is obliged to wear a silly hat. It is optional. No-one will jeer.
12)Participants are relieved of all social duties for the day, and may return to their workshops/computers/hobbies/obsessions whenever they see fit.
Merry Aspie Christmas!